I brought out the needle and thread tonight to “hem” some flannel pyjama bottoms that I’ve had for more than a year. When I first got them, I was too lazy to do any alterations myself and I didn’t want to pay like $15 to get them hemmed at the mall. These are just PJS after all. So, I just rolled them up and hoped for the best. Of course, they’d eventually just unroll and I’d be just walking around with these super long PJ bottoms, essentially using them to sweep the floors of my kitchen and bathroom.
Then I got the brilliant idea to duct tape the hem on each leg. This worked in practice but when I had to wash them I had to remove duct tape. There was tape residue on the PJs, so that wasn’t the best idea.
Tonight, I decided to pursue a more permanent and suitable option. I didn’t have a lot of time, I also don’t really know how to hem properly, and I don’t own a sewing machine, so I compromised. I again rolled up the bottom of the PJs and I just sewed the rolled up parts of the pants to itself. I did it in four places around the circumference of the pant leg. It didn’t take very long to do and it seems to work way better than anything else I’ve tried.
These are interesting times and we need to find solutions that may require creativity and compromise.