In news that will probably be stunning to you, I’ve discovered that commuting sucks donkey balls. What a huge pain in the ass. Case in point was today. I had a 2pm meeting on campus to wrap up some loose ends from when I worked for a professor this summer. I woke up this morning at 11:05am. As I looked at my watch, I realized that if I didn’t jump out of bed immediately to get ready, I’d be late for my meeting. My meeting was still three hours away!!!

By the time I brushed my teeth, showered, got changed, grabbed a drink of water, ate half a croissant, and packed my bag, it was 12 noon. I was on a bus by 12:10pm. I finally got off the bus at UBC at 1:40pm. It took ten minutes to walk to the meeting and then used the remaining ten minutes to prepare. I was on the go from 11am essentially to get to a meeting for 2pm. Crazy.

If I was at SJC, I’d probably would have gamed until 1:45pm, put my game on pause, and headed off then.

I had dinner at SJC tonight, and there many, many new faces. I met a few people, they seem like good, decent folks, and I hope they represent SJC well. Of course, there are a few dorks every year, but it takes a while before they surface. After dinner, I walked over to the Thunderbird Residences with Patrick to see where my new apartment will be. It is in a sweet location. It is less than five minutes away from the engineering and computer science buildings. The Bread Garden is less than two minutes away. SJC is really close as well. Patrick and I were able to walk to my place, check out the outside, and then walk back within fifteen minutes. I am counting the days until September 20.

I got on a 99B bus at 8:30pm and did not return home until 10pm. When I got in the door, I just felt exhausted (still do). I didn’t even do a lot today, nothing at all that required my brain. A meeting and dinner, that was it. Still, I feel drained, like the three hours on transit today just sucked the life out of me. I don’t know how other people do it. I am not looking forward to next week when I actually have class.

I’m going to try to hold on until the 20th. The second day is almost over, that’s 1/10 of my ordeal over. One day at a time… one day at a time…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *