University can be a crazy place and it can make people do some crazy things. You usually never hear about half the stuff, but with the advent of the Internet and the desire of UBC to cut down on such incidents, one can find out a lot.
UBC just recently published the Student Disciplne Report for the last calendar year. Some of it is pretty boring stuff, your typical cheating crap, but there are some interesting incidents to be read. Here are but a few:
3. A student was present and in an intoxicated state while in the company of 3 other students on top of a University parkade when a plastic road barricade was thrown from that location onto the roadway below.
DISCIPLINE: a letter or reprimand.
14. A student was involved in an altercation that led to a physical assault of another student.
DISCIPLINE: a letter of severe reprimand (Ed. – severe reprimand? what’s that?)
17. A student broke the terms of a restraining order.
DISCIPLINE: existing suspension from the University extended for an additional six months and student required to continue with professional counselling.
54. A student was responsible for a bomb threat that disrupted an examination being held in the Henry Angus Building. The same student denied being involved in a similar bomb threat that disrupted an examination in the Buchanan Building.
DISCIPLINE: a suspension from the University for 24 months.
100. A student allegedly authored a series of anonymous and harassing letters and telephone calls that were directed towards a Faculty member.
DISCIPLINE: the allegations could not be proven by the available evidence and was dismissed.
If you’re interested, the whole report and many others are located here.