By virtue of a late-night gaming session that ended around 4am, I awoke around 12pm today. As I got up, my neck and back were sore. I was kinda bleary-eyed as well. I was thinking this day might not go so well.

I was already late for my first item for the day, baseball at a neighbourhood park. Chris (not Conklin) from SJC has been organizing these Sunday afternoon baseball games. Apparently they are a lot of fun and there’s always a good turnout. I promised Chris I’d show up this weekend.

Game time was 1pm but by the time I had finished brushing my teeth, it was already 12:15pm and I still wanted to shower, eat, and check my e-mail. I had to decline a ride with J-Rod and his Chrysler LeBaron. After getting the pre-game festivities out of the way, I left my apartment around 1:20pm and headed to the bus loop.

The field that Chris found is a gem of a park that somehow eluded my knowledge despite being a hop, skip, and a jump from W. 1oth Ave. West Point Grey park is located near Trimble and 8th, and features two diamonds, a play area for kids, and a lawn bowling/croquet pitch. Both diamonds feature as a backdrop the blue waters of English Bay. I tell ya, the view makes it hard to pick up the ball coming off the bat.

Though I had arrived about an hour and a half after start time, I found out we were only at the bottom of the first inning. I quickly was placed on a team. Pretty soon, I was up at bat facing my very first hardball pitch. Even with a batting helmet on, I was thinking how much it might hurt if I got beaned in the head. The pitcher took it easy on me I believe, but the ball moves quite a bit faster than those lobs in softball. In the end, I got called on strikes which was a sucky way to start off.

The next inning, some people left which meant I had to switch teams. I play shortstop for my new team. I touched the ball once in the field, awkwardly stopping a grounder to my feet. By the time I got the ball, there was no play to make.

I had two more at bats. The second one, I managed to reach at a pitch which resulted in a single through the infielders, narrowly missing the pitcher’s outstreached glove. While on base, I took a huge lead, which nearly lead to a successful pickoff attempt. I stayed a bit closer to the bag after that. I got stranded on first unfortunately.

My second at bat was one for the ages. I was attempting to stare down the impressive pitching of Joel himself. I detected a bit of a control problem from him earlier, so I decided I was going to let him earn his strikes. Using my eagle eyes that have been honed by looking at a computer monitor for years, I let the count go to 3-0. The next pitch was a strike which I probably should have swung at, but oh well. The pitch after that was high but like a moron I swung at it which left the count full. I should have been a little more nervous but I watched the next pitch go outside. I walked. I again was left stranded.

I couldn’t stay for the whole game since I had to meet with my parents in the afternoon. They brought me some dim sum and my mail.

There was an awesome dinner at SJC tonight: Teriyaki glazed salmon fillet and rice, miso soup, edamame beans, and spinach salad with balsamic vinaigrette sprinkled with sunflower seeds. For dessert, it was fruit plate with blueberries, kiwi fruit, and pineapple. I’m not sure why I told everyone that.

There’s unopened bag of potato chips in my kitchen that needs opening.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *